ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS Research Technical Services
Ir a contenido
Ir a Estudios, Gobernanza y organización
Research Technical Services
This technique gives the total contents of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sulphur for a broad range of samples, with organic or inorganic origin, solids or liquids. A sample is burned in an excess of oxygen, and the product gasses (CO2, H2O, SO2 and N2) are transported with a carrier gas (He) through a reduction tube and, subsequently, are selectively separated in chromatography columns to, finally, be desorbed by temperature. Once the simple gases are desorbed, these are detected by a Thermal Conductivity detector, which gives an electrical signal proportional to the concentration of the gases in the sample.
The fields where this technique can be used are several, from the fossil fuels analysis (carbon, coke, gasoline, mineral oils, etc) to the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, including soils, food industry, ceramics, etc.
- Product: Carbon, coke, fuels, gasoline, mineral oil, etc.
- Applications: Quality control; carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen and sulfur content; Heating power in solid and liquid samples; Sulfur content (pollution studies), etc.
- Product: Organic and organometallic compounds; drugs, cosmetics, organic and inorganic synthesis products. Pharmaceutical products.
- Applications: Quality control in final products and manufacturing; research, etc.
- Elemental Microanalyzer Thermo Finningan Flash 1112 Series
- Elemental CHNS Microanalyzer, with Micro TruSpec detection system from LECO. This system utilizes a combination of flow-through carrier gas and individual, highly selective infrared (IR) and thermal conductivity detectors resulting in simultaneous determination of CHNS in less than four minutes. This equipment has been acquired with co-financing from the Generalitat Valenciana through subsidies for the promotion of the research of the science parks of the universities.
- Total Carbon and Nitrogen Analyzer “TruSpec CN” LECO, with Sulphur module. The system has incorporated a sulphur detection module to be used with heterogeneous samples, where weights up to 100 mg can be measured. Sulphur detection involves an aditional combustion. The combustion system works in conjunction with the sulphur module.
- The samples must be delivered properly labelled, packaged and upgraded to ensure your identification, integrity and conservation during transport and ensure the safety of personnel responsible for performing it.
- Samples will be presented dry and homogenized.
- The minimum amount necessary for the execution of the test, will be of 3 mg. for combustion.
- Along with the delivery of the sample the approximate percentages of C.H.N.S. or the name of the pattern will be given to use.
- To obtain meaningful results, repetitive and reliable in the quantitative determination of a sample is important that it is free of traces of solvents and impurities.
- The samples must be very homogeneous and well ground or crushed to facilitate their combustion.
- Products to be analyzed must be perfectly dry to discard errors due to the presence of moisture or solvent.
- To analyze products must not contain mercury
- This equipment can be performed with these 2 elements with size analysis macro sample, that is, with amounts of sample that can range between 50 mg and 500 mg approx., in a variety of organic substances of organic synthesis as samples, leaf, vegetables, soil, sludge, sludge, carbons, human or animal food products, animal feed, flour and liquids like beers, milk and its derivatives, fertilizers, oils, etc. Thus, the amount of sample that can be brought to the service may be higher, nor its homogenization has to be so exhaustive and analysis of solids and fluids, containing more than 200 ppm of these elements can be.